With the summer season upon us, I thought it might be interesting to share five common sun-protection mistakes (and how to fix them) with our readers.
Aveeno Positively Ageless Skin Strengthening Hand Cream review, swatches!
Review: Aveeno Positively Ageless Correcting Tinted Moisturizer
- Ditching Sunscreen on Cloudy Days… If you think a cloudy day means it’s safe to be UV-protection free, think again! You can get just as much UV exposure when it is cloudy, as you can on a bright, clear day. Make sure to cover up and apply a board spectrum sunscreen like AVEENO® PROTECT+ HYDRATE® Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 30, even if it’s cloudy.
- Not Protecting Your Eyes… It is just as important to protect our eyes as it is our skin. The effects of UV exposure to the eyes are mostly cumulative and can cause irreversible harm to the eye if it is left unprotected or under protected. For comprehensive protection, consider the triad of protection: A hat with a brim, UV blocking sunglasses that have a wrap or wider temples on the sides, and for contact lens wearers, UV blocking contact lenses such as ACUVUE® OASYS® Brand Contact Lenses, which has the highest level of UV blocking in a contact lens.
- Relying Solely on Your Makeup…More is better when it comes to sun protection and while your makeup may contain SPF, it is not enough. For optimal protection, prime your skin with a tinted color correcting cream containing broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection like NEOVA DNA Damage Control SILC SHEER 2.0 [Broad Spectrum SPF 40], before applying foundation.
- Ignoring Expiration Dates… Yes, your sunscreen has an expiration date and it does matter! Using sunscreen that is past its expiration date, will result in less effective protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. To make sure your sunscreen is in tip-top-shape, also check out the label’s suggested storage condition.
- Getting Into a Hairy Situation… Sun protection is a head-to-toe affair and no part of your body should be left out this summer – including your hair! When it comes to hair, over exposure to UV rays can result in faded color, brittle shafts and split ends. To keep your locks looking luscious, use products that protect from damage caused by sun exposure.